This post is also available in: French
Our mission is to help families heal through a community of support and to promote the elimination of life-altering workplace injuries, illnesses and deaths.
Threads of Life will lead and inspire a culture shift as a result of which work-related injuries, illnesses and deaths are morally, socially and economically unacceptable.
Threads of Life’s Strategic Plan (January 2013 – December 2015)
>> DOWNLOAD >>
Our family support charity believes in…
Caring: Caring helps and heals
Listening: Listening can ease pain and suffering
Sharing: Sharing our personal losses will lead to healing and preventing future devastating work-related losses
Respect: Personal experiences of loss and grief need to be honored and
Health: Health and safety begin in our heads, hearts and hands, in everyday
Passion: Passionate individuals can change the world
The Association for Workplace Tragedy Family Support (known as Threads of Life) is a national registered Canadian charity dedicated to supporting families along their journey of healing who have suffered from a workplace fatality, life-altering illness or occupational disease. Our network of family members and corporate partners believe traumatic workplace injuries, occupational diseases and deaths are preventable.
Through community action such as the Steps for Life walks, and participation in the Speakers Bureau, we can effect a change in attitudes and behaviours where injuries are no longer considered to be “just the cost of doing business.” We strive for safer workplaces for Canadian families. Registered CRA charity #87524 8908 RR0001.
How we are funded
Threads of Life does not have guaranteed funding. We rely on grants for special project funding and donations (personal and corporate), third party events and the significant fundraising outcomes from Steps for Life – Walking for Families of Workplace Tragedy, to meet our mandate to help support families of workplace tragedy. Grant funds that are currently working to further Threads of Life’s mandate are:
- Commission de la santé et de la sécurité du travail du Québec (CSST)
- Ontario Ministry of Labour
- Workers’ Compensation Board of Manitoba
- Workers’ Compensation Board of Nova Scotia
Financial support from government departments and agencies – in the form of grants, creative sentencing and donations – has been instrumental in developing partnerships, special projects, and reaching new family members in need of our programs and services across the country. These include:
- Alberta Justice (creative sentencing decisions)
- Department of Labour and Workforce Development Education and Trust Grant (Nova Scotia)
- Ontario Ministry of Attorney General and Victim Services Secretariat
- Ontario Trillium Foundation
- Ontario Workplace Safety & Insurance Board
- Labour Canada
- Nova Scotia Department of Labour & Advanced Education
- Province of Manitoba
- Workers’ Compensation Board of Prince Edward Island
- Saskatchewan Workers’ Compensation Board
- Service NL – Occupational Health and Safety Branch
- Workplace Health, Safety and Compensation Commission, Newfoundland
- Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board
Personal and corporate donations
We are also able to deliver programs and services through personal and corporate donations and from funds raised through our annual fundraising and awareness walk,
Steps for Life. For more information on Steps for Life, visit www.stepsforlife.ca.