Steps for Life 2023 is happening across the country over the next three weekends! Every Steps for Life walker in a yellow T-shirt is walking for the same reason: to show support for Threads of Life families affected by a workplace tragedy, all while we walk forward together in prevention. Whether you take to the park, the streets, or your own backyard, you’re in good company.
Here are a few tips to help make your walk day shine!
- Dress for the weather. Steps for Life walks will go ahead – rain, snow or shine – so be ready for it! Dress in layers, wear comfortable shoes, and remember sun protection.
- Get yourself organized. Ensuring you’re organized on the “business end” makes for a smooth check-in experience and gets your walk off on the right foot! Online registration will be open right up until the walk begins, and you can fundraise online up until the end of May! Less paper on walk day makes for a quicker check-in process. In the off chance you have collected cash and/or cheque pledges, please make sure they are marked on your pledge sheet and that you’ve followed the instructions on the cash and cheque tip sheet. And last but not least, if you registered online, your waiver’s already signed, but anyone who was registered by someone else will need to review and sign one on site.
- Stop to read each Memory Lane sign. Each worker profiled in Memory Lane is one of the reasons why we walk in Steps for Life. Workers and families that have been forever changed by a work-related injury, illness, or fatality, from your community and across Canada have shared their story in the hope that their experience won’t be repeated. Here are just a few of the stories that have been shared — you’ll find many others shared at your local walk.
- Make a new friend. Each Steps for Life walk brings together a safety-focused community of families who’ve experienced a workplace tragedy, along with business leaders, union representatives, health and safety professionals, and prevention advocates. Make a point to meet someone new – maybe they’ll share what brings them to Steps for Life.
Thank you so much for your support! We’re looking forward to walking with you and seeing your photos and shares from the walk. Be sure to tag Threads of Life on social media and use the #StepsForLife hashtag!
Latest posts by Sarah Wheelan (see all)
- Steps for Life’s Greatest Success - May 25, 2023
- 4 Ways to Make Your Walk Day Shine - April 24, 2023
- Walking together, so nobody walks alone - February 9, 2023