Social media can definitely have pros and cons, like many things, but a feature that Facebook has added over the last year is all pro in my books! Facebook Fundraisers were added late in 2018 for Canada and have taken over the social world since. Although we had heard about them, we did not jump at the opportunity right away. We wanted to make sure we had all the facts and that any issues that may arise from a new launch were taken care of before we got involved. In April, we had someone come across Threads of Life and reach out to ask if we were set up through Facebook. They had a birthday coming up and wanted to do a charity fundraiser specifically for Threads of Life. That was the sign it was time for us to take a closer look into this.
Facebook Fundraisers allow you to set up a dedicated page to tell others about a cause you care about and create a fundraising goal. It is an easier way for nonprofit organizations to raise funds and reach more donors that they may not have necessarily reached otherwise. Aside from the potential of new donors, it helps get the awareness of Threads of Life out across Canada. As if that was not enough, 100% of the funds raised goes directly to the nonprofit organization. There are absolutely no fees to the donor or the organization. If a donor is donating $25, then the nonprofit organization they are donating to will receive $25. Win – Win right?!
We were able to work with Facebook and PayPal to verify that Threads of Life is a registered Canadian charity and from there we were on our way. Over the past 3+ months, supporters using Facebook Fundraising have raised just under $3000 for Threads of Life. With all the negative things happening in the world today, it doesn’t hurt to receive recognition for the good we are doing to try to make a difference. Facebook Giving does just that. It will show in the fundraiser that you donated to the cause to help make a difference without displaying the amount. In return, you feel great and others know just how big your heart is (as if there was any question).
I guess that makes it a Win-Win-Win situation! Do you have a birthday or special event coming up? You can follow these steps below to create a fundraiser on Facebook where each dollar will go to supporting families after a workplace fatality, life-altering injury or occupational disease through Threads of Life.
- Log in to your Facebook and on the left side under ‘Explore’ – click Fundraisers
- Under ‘Raise money for a non-profit’ – click Select charity
- In the ‘Search box’ type Threads of Life – click Threads of Life – Association for Workplace Tragedy Family Support
- You can type in your goal and choose when your fundraiser should end – click Next
- You can give your fundraiser a title and either use the write up provided as to why you are raising money or add/adjust to your liking – click Next
- You can choose a suggested photo and click Edit to choose your own photo – click Create
- You will then be able to share your fundraiser on your Facebook for your friends and family to donate or even share your fundraiser for more awareness!
- When a donor is ready to donate, they just need to click the Donate button and fill out the required information. They can pay either by credit card or through PayPal and can choose to do it publicly or anonymously. All donations will receive a charitable tax receipt (from PayPal) for their donation.
- You will be able to watch your thermometer rise with each donation received and thank your donors along the way!
- Feel proud! Funding is important to keep Threads of Life’s programs available, nevertheless awareness is equally important for ALL Canadians to know Threads of Life exists.
The only downside we can see with Facebook fundraisers is that it’s harder for us to thank donors directly. Since the transaction is managed exclusively through the PayPal Giving Fund, Threads of Life doesn’t receive your contact info in the process of your donation. So to each of the anonymous (to us) donors choosing to support you and Threads of Life in this way, please accept our sincerest thank you. On behalf of our Board of Directors, staff, and the 2900 family members Threads of Life is currently supporting, please know your generosity is deeply appreciated.
- With a little help from our best friends - June 8, 2022
- Make the call now — It’s Visit Your Relatives Day - May 18, 2022
- Our Favourite Recipe for Family Memories - December 2, 2021